We are huge fans of Mexican food, like every Friday night without fail is burrito night! So one Friday night, we had friends coming over and I thought why not honor our Friday tradition and entertain our guests with a “make your own taco” station.
I thought it would be complicated and time consuming to make the beef barbacoa, but I was so wrong. I prepared the sauce the night before which made it very easy when it came time to cook. I also did not blend any of the ingredients, you don’t have to at all if you’re pressure cooking it. I cooked it in the Instant Post which only took an hour and let me tell you, the beef turned out so tender, tasty and bursting with flavor! And surely, this is a dish that your friends will think you spent hours making.
It tasted better than having it at any restaurant and I’m sure you’re going to love this recipe as much as we did.
3 ways to take this delicious Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa recipe and turn it into a wholesome meal
- Nachos- it was a hit with the kids!
- Burrito or salad bowl with brown rice base
- Tacos in soft or hard shells
I think I’ve said enough about this recipe, now let’s get down to business!
Beef Barbacoa Instant Pot
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Author: Reem Jeiroudi
For the Sauce:
- ½ medium or 1 sweet onion, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 chipotle peppers from adobo can, seeds removed, minced
- 3 Tbsp adobo sauce from the same can as the chipotle peppers
- 1 ¼ cups beef broth
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground clove or 4 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
For the beef:
- 3.5 lbs roast (or brisket), trimmed, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients listed. Mix well and store in the fridge in an airtight container if you are making it a day or two in advance.
- Cut beef into 2”x 2” chunks and spice with salt and pepper.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add Olive oil.
- When heated, add beef chunks in batches and dear all sides until brown.
- Once all the beef is browned, add it all back in the Instant Pot and pour the sauce on top.
- Mix well to combine evenly.
- Cover the Instant Pot and set to pressure cooker for 1 hour.
- Once cooking is done, let it release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Shred beef in the Instant Pot and allow it to soak up all that sauce!
- Garnish with chopped red onion and cilantro (optional).
The taco station included lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, jalapenos, cilantro, shredded texmex cheese and a side of guacamole and sour cream.
Bonus, you can also freeze some leftovers (considering you’ll have any) to have for a quick weekly dinner.